Thuthuzela, the Xhoza for comfort, is exactly what this centre stands for.
Victims of sexual abuse, rape & physical abuse are given back their dignity and hope at the Thuthuzela Care Centre.
The Thuthuzela Care Centre is located at the National District Hospital in Bloemfontein where a doctor conducts a medical examination, the victim’s statement is taken by the investigating officer on call at the centre and the victim receives further medical treatment.
This process, together with trauma debriefing and counselling by the social worker on site, in a safe comforting environment allows victims to become survivors.
These centres are located at hospitals where the Social Worker on site does trauma containment ,to prepare victims for the forensic medical examination and the victim receives further medical treatment and counselling.
This process, in a safe comforting environment, allows victims to become survivors.
Where are Centres located?
- Tshepong Thuthuzela Care Centre Bloemfontein National Hospital
- Bongani Thuthuzela Care Centre Bongani Hospital Welkom
- Phekolong Thuthuzela Care Centre Phekolong Hospital Bethlehem
- Elizabeth Ross Victim Support Centre Phuthaditjhaba
- Nketoana District Hospital Reitz
- Tshebe Hospital Victim Support Centre Harrismith
- Heidedal & Mangaung Afterschool
Our Afterschool programmes (based at our satellite offices in Heidedal & Mangaung) provide a safe space for children to do homework, enjoy recreational activities and also be taught some essential life skills. The Afterschool programmes are manned by previously unemployed community members trained to become skilled Child and Youth Care Workers.